Jipyong's Government Contracts Team is comprised of attorneys with extensive experience and network in the area of government contracts with many having close ties to the National Assembly and Administration. We have successfully advised on infrastructure projects related to the development of roads, harbors, and bridges and on energy projects related to the development of new and renewable energy power plants.
In addition to providing legal advice related to the public sector, we work continuously to offer our clients industry expertise based on accumulated knowledge and experience. Jipyong offers solutions that are not only legal, but also applicable in planning, development, and completion of the projects related to all types of policies to public agencies, including national and local governments, public corporations and institutions.
In addition, through our "Global Business Center," we offer tailored advice to clients in a wide range of industries such as natural resources, energy and infrastructure by leveraging our attorneys with extensive international experience and international offices. We serve as a reliable partner for companies in their overseas expansion, including their investments in mining, forest development, and acquisitions of corporations in the energy industry.
Jipyong’s Offset Trade Team provides legal services to the defense industry. Under the Defense Acquisition Program Act, the term ‘offset trade’ means ‘a trade where a condition of reciprocal services, such as transfer of relevant knowledge and technology is attached when purchasing weapons, or equipment from abroad.’ Offset trade is increasingly gaining traction as the scope of trade has expanded to products in the private sector such as aviation, robots, IT products as well as military supplies. Moreover, the methods to approve the credit of offset trade have become varied. The Offset Trade team has experience in handling numerous matters related to the defense industry such as defense procurement contracts, government regulations, relevant civil/criminal/administrative litigations and legal advice. Jipyong provides legal services with attorneys and experts amassing expertise in the relevant fields.
Key Practice Areas Close
- Sanctions, fines, and penalties under national contract laws
- Regulations concerning national and local contract laws, government ordered construction and bidding
- Disputes related to contracts ordered by the government, local governments, and public organizations
- Legal issues that public enterprises may face when doing business
- Private investment in infrastructure
- Defense contracts ordered by the Defense Acquisition Program Administration
- Legal issues that may arise among defense enterprises and vendors
- Legal issues related to overseas exports of defense enterprises
- Responding to criminal sanctions against practitioners in the defense industry
- One-stop legal advice for defense companies
- Pioneering markets newly emerging by amendment and expansion of offset trade
- Advice for domestic companies entering the global markets and foreign companies entering the Korean market
- Advice and intermediation of trade for related government authorities such as the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy, the Small and Medium Business Administration, and companies in the focused industries of aviation, IT, and robot
- M&A of domestic defense companies
- Advice on offset trades arising from import/export in the defense industry (i.e. export to India, Norway, Southeast Asia, South America, etc.) and third country (cross-border) transactions in global offset trades
[Focus Areas on Government Contracts]
[Focus Areas on Offset Trade]
- Represented Daewoo E&C, Hyundai E&C, Hyundai Development Company, KC E&C, Gongwoo E&C, Korea Electric Power Industrial Development Company, and Moorim S&T in a number of lawsuits seeking nullity of unlawful enterprise sanction
- Represented and advised public organizations such as the Korea Veterans Association, Korea Hydro&Nuclear Power, Korea Institute for Advancement of Technology, and Korea International Cooperation Agency related to cancellation of unlawful enterprise sanction
- Represented leading architect and engineering offices such as Samwoo Architects and Engineers, Jeonglim Architects and Engineers, Tomoon Architects and Engineers, Mooyoung Architects and Engineers in lawsuits seeking cancellation of disposition of restricting participation in bidding
- Represented in a lawsuit seeking cancellation of unlawful enterprise sanction related to privately-invested expressway development projects, including Busan-Geoje Fixed Link
- Advised defense companies such as Hanwha Thales and Samduk Commercial on unlawful enterprise sanctions
- Represented and advised on various disputes related to bidding (provisional injunction and lawsuits on the merits such as confirmation of invalidation, confirmation of successful bidder status, etc.)
- Represented Hanjin Heavy Industries, Hyundai Heavy Industries, and Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering in a lawsuit seeking cancellation of designation of defense contractors
- Advised Elbit, an Israeli company, on participating in defense business
- Represented Samduk Commercial Co., Ltd. in a lawsuit seeking revocation of disposition of cancelling Defense Quality Management System
- Advised SG Safety Corporation, CJ Olive Networks, LGCNS, Poongsan, S&T Heavy Industries, etc. on defense contracts and bids, and represented lawsuits
- Consultation on Offset-trade