Jipyong's IP & Technology Group provides legal advice and represents clients at all stages in all matters related to IP, including application and registration of patents, utility models, trademarks and designs to licensing, infringement, invalidation and criminal liability. The intellectual breadth and depth of our IP & Technology Group, as well as our attorneys’ practical experience in courts, prosecution offices and government agencies such as patent courts, make Jipyong perfectly suited to address the complex and multidisciplinary needs of our clients. In close collaboration with leading patent and law offices, Jipyong offers a one-stop service system from patent application to dispute resolution.
In response to the recent surge in disputes over employee inventions, Jipyong’s IP & Technology Group advises on employee inventions and on the enactment of Employee Invention Compensation Regulations, while also representing clients in litigation related to those areas.
In addition, we are committed to protecting Korean companies' intellectual property rights overseas through a network of local offices, foreign lawyers and foreign law firms around the world. Working closely with our branch offices and foreign attorneys, Jipyong also utilizes its wide-reaching network with foreign law firms to protect overseas IP rights of Korean companies.
Key Practice Areas Close
- Representing clients in litigation involving infringement of patent, utility model, trademark, and design, damages claim, and provisional disposition
- Representing clients in litigation involving invalidation of patent, utility model, trademark, design registration, confirmation of right scope, appeal against decision of rejection, and trial revocation litigation
- Representing clients in criminal proceedings, investigation and criminal trial for patent, utility model, trademark, and design infringement
- Advising clients on registration of patents, utility models, trademarks, design rights, protection of the rights, licensing and contracts including transfer
- Representing clients in litigation involving transfer/cancellation of registration of patent, utility model, trademark, and claim for loyalty
- Representing clients in administrative litigations, including cancellation of administrative disposition imposed by the Commissioner of Patent Office related to patent, utility model, trademark, and design
- Advising clients on employee invention compensation and litigation on compensation and ownership to employee invention
- Advising clients on securing and protecting overseas patents, utility models, trademarks, design rights, and overseas litigation management
- Resolving disputes regarding copyright and computer program copyright
- Advising on and resolving disputes involving special types of online service providers
- Advising on and resolving disputes involving character merchandising, portrait rights, and publicity rights
- Resolving disputes on customs clearance procedures for IPR infringed goods and investigation on unfair trade acts by Trade Committee
- Advising clients on intellectual property license agreements and franchise agreements
- Advising clients on fair trade issues related to intellectual property rights such as standard patents and reverse payment agreement
- Advising and representing clients in litigation on procedures for reporting, investigation and deliberation of the Fair Trade Commission regarding the abuse of intellectual property rights and the exploitation of technology
- Represented Kakao Corp. in an appeal of the claim for damages filed by the video producer
- Represented ‘O’ company, an electronic component manufacturer claiming for employee invention compensation and won
- Represented Renoeng at the Supreme Court claiming for correction of patent right scope
- Represented the Korea Music Copyright Association and the appeal court dismissed the first trial and accepted part of the appeal in the lawsuit claiming for damages due to copyright infringement by the Hymn Society of Korea
- Represented Hyundai Motor Company and won in a lawsuit claiming for damages for violating Subcontracting Act and Fair Trade Act
- Represented Hello Museum, the first non-profit art museum in Korea, in an injunction lawsuit against a museum that used similar trademarks and successfully resolved the case with reconciliation recommendation by the court
- Participated in a constitutional lawsuit for the violation of FRAND Commitment and abuse of patent right in a case related to a dispute over patent infringement between Samsung Electronics and Apple Inc.
- Representation a lawsuit of confirmation of patent right scope regarding a swivel chair gas cylinder
- Represented a lawsuit asking for patent registration invalidation and the confirmation of the patent right scope and patent infringement lawsuit related to POS Printer
- Represented a lawsuit asking for patent registration invalidation and patent infringement lawsuit related to LED lighting
- Represented a lawsuit asking for patent registration invalidation and correction of patent right, provisional injunction and criminal charges related to downward method construction machinery
- Represented a patent infringement case against ‘L’ company’s display manufacturing method
- Represented the songwriter of “I am a Loner” in a plagiarism dispute and prevailed
- Advised gaming companies and IT companies, such as Ahnlab, Secure Soft, NC Soft, Actoz Soft and NTREEV Soft, and represented them in lawsuits
- Advised and represented entertainment agencies, such as S.M. Entertainment, and entertainers with regard to copyright and publicity rights
- Advised and represented clients with regard to: the trademarks of Hyundai affiliates; Korea First Card case involving KB Card and Standard Chartered First Bank Korea Limited; the use of cafe names by Naver and Daum; the “Don’t Study English”; Webhard; etc.
- Unfair competition in relation to Vanessa Bruno, True Religion, LoveCat, Blumarine, etc.
- Domain name disputes by Naver, Interpark, Webhard, Lineage, NBC Universal, Kodak, etc.
- Participated in a trademark dispute on ‘Bulgaris’ between Namyang Dairy Products and Maeil Dairy Industry
- Participated in a lawsuit regarding the intellectual property right on a parody of Seo Tae-Ji
- Participated in the action for injunction and damages regarding the intellectual property right related to the streaming service provided by Bugs Music
- Participated in a case related to the thumbnails in web search service by Daum Communications
- Participated in the cases between the internet portals, such as Neowiz, Sports Seoul I&B, etc., and news media companies regarding intellectual property right related to the portals’ news search service
- Participated in an action for injunction regarding the P2P service by Soribada Inc.
- Participated in a lawsuit between SG Corporation and Sherbet
- Advised RYN Korea on the ITC’s lawsuit against RYN Korea for MBT’s patent infringement