The entertainment and media industry is unique and distinguished from other business industries due to the composition of a wide range of businesses within the industry such as entertainment management, film, broadcasting, music, musicals, theater, games, and sports and its high-risk, high-return and one source multi-use nature of the business. Thus, the legal issues arising in the entertainment and media industry requires comprehensive and professional knowledge in diverse areas including copyright law, trademark law, patent law, unfair competition prevention and trade secret protection law, Internet law, defamation law, contract law, broadcasting law, and fair trade law.
Through organic cooperation with China Team, overseas offices, M&A Group, Criminal Defense Group, Capital Markets Group, Antitrust & Competition Group, and utilizing our in-depth expertise and understanding of the entertainment and media industry, Jipyong's Entertainment & Media Team offers the appropriate advice required for the development and globalization of entertainment companies regarding intellectual property rights, licensing, engagement contracts, investment funding (financing), M&A, overseas investment and establishment of local subsidy, criminal cases, IPO, and fair trade law-related cases. Our attorneys have successfully dealt with various types of disputes through arbitrations, mediations, and litigations. In addition, Jipyong has been successfully providing legal services in resolving disputes related to the suspension of athlete qualification and various contracts in the sports industry.
Jipyong provides efficient and reasonable advice to leading entertainment companies in Korea in response to the rapidly changing entertainment business environment. Jipyong has established a good reputation from our clients by proactively responding to potential legal issues prior to the occurrence of unnecessary disputes.
Key Practice Areas Close
- Intellectual property infringement on various media contents
- Entertainment management and agency contracts
- Defamation, privacy and portrait rights infringement related to media such as broadcasting, newspaper, magazine, Internet, and advertisement
- Licensing and fair trade cases for domestic and overseas broadcasting, newspaper and Internet based new media business
- Domestic and overseas co-production agreements, publishing agreements, license agreements, etc. on media contents such as movies, music, dramas, animations, and games
- Contracts related to domestic and international performances of plays, musicals and concerts
- Investment in and financing for entertainment companies, M&A, and establishment of overseas joint ventures
- Domestic and international IPOs of entertainment companies
- Sports contracts, athlete contracts, agent contracts, sponsorship contracts, etc.
- Consultation on legal issues including plagiarism of game software
- Exclusive contract disputes between celebrities and management companies
- Conducted civil and criminal proceedings related to defamation of celebrities such as actors, singers and director
- Advised on the production or investment distribution of filmmakers of ‘With God’, ‘Hit-and-Run Squad’, ‘Silence’, ‘Believer’, “Cheer up, Mr. Lee’, “Call”, “Sheriff”, “Beauty Inside”, etc.
- Advised drama producers on production of drama such as “Suits”, “Hwarang”, “Health Teacher Ahn Eun-young”, “Best Divorce”, and “Melo Holic”
- Represented in a lawsuit about contracts related to drama 'Lion'
- Disputes on retransmission of terrestrial broadcasters
- Advised management companies on exclusive contracts, contract for movie and drama, advertisement contracts, record investment contracts, performance contracts, etc.
- Advised program manufacturers on overseas OTT services or productions, such as Netflix
- Advised entertainment companies on M&A and KOSDAQ listing
- Advised on intellectual property rights and fair trade laws related to the production and sales contracts of terrestrial broadcasters such as MBC, SBS and KBS
- Advised FOX International, Arirang TV and cable companies on production and sales of program
- Advised on drama and news programs of major broadcasters such as MBC and SBS and conducted lawsuits
- Advised Korea’s popular directors and actors on contracts with overseas film and drama production companies in China and the U.S.
- Advised a domestic film investment distributors on overseas film investments in the US and Indonesia
- Advised domestic drama producers or movie producers on overseas reproduction
- Advised CJ E&M on co-production agreements with the national broadcaster in Vietnam
- Advised CJ CGV on the acquisition of shares in a local theater in Vietnam
- Advised CJ E&M on the investment in a joint production of a movie with foreign partners(“ĐỂ HỘI TÍNH”) in Vietnam (Broke the box office record in Vietnam)
- Advised CJ E&M on the establishment of local subsidy in Vietnam
- Advised Lotte Shopping (Cinema) on signing franchise agreement with movie theaters and leasing contract in Vietnam
- Advised KBS on joint venture establishment and investment in kind with Cambodian broadcasters
- Advised SM Entertainment on the establishment of ‘SM True Co., Ltd.’, an overseas joint venture with Truvision, a Thai media group
- Prepared and reviewed model agency contract for entertainment company in Myanmar
- Advised K-Entertainment performance in Myanmar
- Consulted Korean Entertainment Companies regarding laws applied to economic sanctions imposed on Myanmar by the U.S.
- Advised Korean companies on investment in advertising market in Indonesia
- Advised CJ4DX on technology license with theater operator in Russia
- Advised Korea OPT (Japanese advertising company) on M&A related to acquisition of shares in Korean advertising agency
- Advised on overseas distribution and license agreements of many musical performances
- Advised NHN Entertainment on the on-line shopping mall project in China
- Advised a Korean Internet company on acquiring a Chinese company
- Advised a Korean game development company on establishment of R&D center in China
- Advised CJ CGV on establishment of Shanghai subsidiary in China
- Advised Korean game company on import from and export to China
- Advised a Korean Internet game company on the acquisition of local company in China
- Advised KBS on labor issues in Beijing, China