Jipyong provides a One-Stop Service for overseas litigation from the early stage of dispute to strategy planning, litigation, negotiation/ reconciliation, settlement or judgment either by directly representing clients or acting as lead counsel to closely assist clients.
Jipyong’s Global Dispute Resolution Team has engaged in overseas litigation in various fields and industries, including trade disputes, fair trade, investment disputes, contract disputes, IP lawsuit, financial fraud, shareholder group lawsuit, consumer groups, litigation, administrative litigation and healthcare. We currently represent or represented clients in many countries around the world, including the United States, China, Singapore, Hong Kong, Saipan, Vietnam, Oman, France, Kenya, Nigeria, Pakistan and Azerbaijan. Whether as a sole counsel or in cooperation with local law firms, our attorneys always strive to promote and protect our clients’ interests before courts.
International disputes require not only extensive experience in litigation but also an in-depth understanding of the laws and cultures of foreign countries and excellent communication skills. Jipyong’s International Arbitration Team is composed of both Korean and foreign attorneys of great skill and renown, working in unison to satisfy the demands and achieve the goals of the clients. Jipyong has attorneys licensed in Korea, the United States, the United Kingdom, New Zealand, and Russia, as well as specialists working at our subsidiary offices in China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Indonesia, Myanmar, and Russia. Having attorneys from such a diverse background means that Jipyong’s dispute resolution practice can form teams specifically designed to tackle the particular needs of clients and to provide the most efficient and specialized international arbitration services. Our Global Dispute Resolution Team are not only experts in international law, but also are bilingual in English and Korean, and also are fluent in Japanese, French and Russian.
Jinhee KIM, Head of Global Dispute Resolution Team, worked as a trial attorney at renowned international law firms such as Paul Hastings before joining Jipyong. She handles international litigation for Korean conglomerates and is an unrivalled arbitration and negotiation expert who has resolved 30 cases over the last 3 years. Bernard K. HAM, who joined Jipyong in 2019, worked for the US Department of Health and Human Services as trial counsel and assisted in drafting dozens of healthcare legislations and for regulatory litigations on behalf of the US government. He is also a veteran of negotiations who has made numerous deals in various fields including manufacturing, healthcare, biotechnology, entertainment and IT and is also an expert in resolving contract disputes. Gee Hong Kim, Head of Jipyong’s Antitrust & Competition Team widely recognized for his successes as a litigation attorney, worked at Sidley Austin’s New York office and currently serves as an arbitrator at the Korean Commercial Arbitration Board and has amassed his expertise at Sidley Austin New York.
Key Practice Areas Close
- Represented and advised in litigation in the United States, China, Vietnam, Indonesia, Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos and Russia
- Advised on other local disputes and act as local law firm in the UK, Mexico, Canada, Kenya and Nigeria
- Represented and advised in administrative procedures such as overseas fair trade investigation
- Negotiation and coordination
- Strategic advice and representation to resolve various cross-border disputes such as investment disputes, trade disputes, etc.
- Represented Korea Asset Management Company on a lawsuit filed at the U.S. Federal Court in the State of California (Central District Court) against U.S. citizen and won the case
- Represented California-based company on a lawsuit filed at the U.S. Federal Court in the State of California (Central District Court) and won the case
- Represented a Korean pharmaceutical company on forming a joint venture with a Nigerian company and a Kenyan company, and conducted negotiation in Africa
- Conducted criminal case against an Oman company on behalf of a Korean infrastructure exporter
- Represented a large Korean company in a lawsuit filed by a Pakistani company
- Conducted consumer class action against a multinational pharmaceutical company relating to violation of product liability and duty of disclosure, and closed the case through settlement
- Conducted lawsuit against Japanese companies claiming for damages related to the World Cup mascot business
- Won the litigation seeking compensation for damages against Vietnamese individuals on behalf of Ho Chi Minh Branch office of Korean bank
- Successfully conducted a legal action claiming for payment of price under a real estate sale and purchase agreement against a Russian seller (individual) on behalf of a domestic asset management company