Mr. Donga Kim, a former chief judge at Seoul Southern District Court, joined Jipyong after 21 years of service at the courts. He served as a judge from 1998 until February 2019. He was admitted to the bar in 1995 and then served as a judge advocate officer at the Korean Air Force.
As a judicial researcher at the Supreme Court and a judge at Seoul High Court, Gwangju High Court and Seoul Central District Court, etc., Mr. Kim handled a wide range of criminal cases (including arrest warrants), civil cases and administrative cases.
At Seoul Central District Court, he handled white color crime cases, capital markets act violation cases, and medical institution cases as a criminal presiding judge in charge of economic and health cases. He also handled securities damage cases, insurance cases and auction collusion damage cases, etc. as a civil presiding judge in charge of corporate cases.
At Jipyong, Mr. Kim is advising clients on criminal/corporate matters, capital markets act matters, and finances and insurance matters based on his extended court experience of more than 20 years.
- 2007Visiting Scholar, University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley)
- 1993Seoul National University (LL.B.)
- 2019-Present JIPYONG LLC (Partner)
- 2021-Present Non-standing Commissioner, Korea Fair Trade Commission
- 2020-PresentArbitrator, Korean Commercial Arbitration Board
- 2020-2022Director, SH Human Rights Center, Seoul Housing & Communities Corp.
- 2019-2022 Member, Teachers’ Authority Protection Committee, Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education
- 2019-2021Adjunct Professor, Seoul National University School of Law
- 2018-2019 Chief Judge, Seoul Southern District Court
- 2015-2018 Chief Judge, Seoul Central District Court
- 2012-2015 Professor, Judicial Research and Training Institute
- 2010-2012 Chief Judge, Daejeon District Court
- 2008-2010 Judicial Researcher, the Supreme Court
- 2007 Research Judge, Judicial Research and Training Institute
- 2006-2007 Judge, Seoul High Court
- 2005 Judge, Seoul Central District Court
- 2004 Judge, Gwangju High Court
- 2002 Head of each Election Commission, Hampyeong County, Jeollanam-do
- 2002-2004 Judge, Gwangju District Court, mokpo Branch
- 2000-2002 Judge, Seoul District Court, Eastern Branch
- 1998-2000 Judge, Uijeongbu Branch Court under Seoul District Court
- 1995-1998 Judge Advocate Officer, Korean Air Force
- 1995 Judicial Research and Training Institute, Supreme Court of Korea
Honors and Recognitions Close
- 2023Leading Lawyer in Dispute Resolution & Litigation, Legal Times
Speaking Engagements and Publications Close
- 2023Financial Consumer Protection Act Commentary (Co-author), Pakyoungsa
- 2021Shareholder Activism and Stewardship Code (Co-author), Pakyoungsa
- 2009Whether a member of the National Assembly under the nation-wide proportionate representation system may be a subject violator of the prohibited donations under the Public Official Election Act and the prisoner relation between the bribery related to nomination under the Public Official Election Act and other crimes, Supreme Court Case Commentaries, Court Library
Bar Admissions & Qualifications Close
Korean / English