Mr. Seong Jin Bae is a Partner in the Dispute Resolution Group and heads the Financial Disputes Team.
Mr. Bae is among the highest ranked litigators in Korea and most authoritative commentators on Korean insolvency and corporate restructuring laws. He has won numerous landmark cases, including a case of first impression concerning the discontinuance of bankruptcy proceedings by agreement. He is much lauded for his many contributions to Korean insolvency jurisprudence, having successfully advanced novel legal theories regarding denial rights, cancellation of executory contracts, and limitations on creditor’s setoff rights.
Mr. Bae successfully appealed a lower court ruling in a high-profile case involving investment trusts, and has achieved numerous successes in other investment trust related litigations involving the duty of care of asset management companies and miss-selling of financial investment instruments, as well as work-outs and other large-scale disputes involving financial institutions. His expertise also covers insurance disputes. He regularly advises major Korean and foreign insurance companies, and successfully represented Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company in defending a large-scale automobile loan insurance claim that gave rise to complex and hotly disputed issues under Korean insurance laws.
Mr. Bae is an adjunct professor at Korea University School of Law and the 2017 recipient of its Anam Lecture Award. He also serves on the Dispute Mediation & Deliberation Committee of the Korea Exchange and is a member of the Korea Securities Law Association.
Mr. Bae holds an LL.B. from Seoul National University and LL.M. from the University of Minnesota School of Law.
He is a member of the Korean and New York Bars.
- 2008 Completed financial law (insurance law) course at Center for Financial Law, Seoul National University
- 2005 University of Minnesota School of Law (LL.M.)
- 1995 Seoul National University (LL.B.)
- 2000-Present Partner, JIPYONG LLC
- 2021-Present Member, Active Administrative Committee, Financial Services Commission
- 2007-Present Member, Korea Securities Law Association
- 2015-2020 Adjunct Professor, Korea University School of Law
- 2015-2019 Member, Dispute Mediation & Deliberation Committee, Korea Exchange
- 2005Passed the New York bar examination
- 1999 Associate, Shin & Kim
- 1999 Judicial Research and Training Institute, Supreme Court of Korea
Notable Achievements Close
- Overturned Supreme Court precedent with a Supreme Court en banc decision related to scope of lessee’s liabilities for damage caused by fire in the leased building
- Represented an asset management company in a damages claim in the amount of scores of billions of won by investors in a vessel fund
- Represented many securities companies in large-scale lawsuits involving incomplete sale of financial investment products, breach of duty to explain, churning, discretionary trading, and employer’s liabilities.
- Represented many insurance companies in lawsuits involving duty to inform, duty to notify, duty to explain, and interpretation of insurance terms and conditions.
Honors and Recognitions Close
- 2017, 2019, 2021Leading Lawyer in Insurance Practice, Legal Times
- 2019Anam Lecture Award, Korea University School of Law
- 2019Lawyer of the Year in Insurance Practice, Legal Times
- 2017Anam Lecture Award, Korea University School of Law
- 2007One of the Top Lawyers in civil cases, Chosun Ilbo
Speaking Engagements and Publications Close
- 1999Acquisition of Real Estate by Prescription, Judicial Research and Training Institute
- 1999Admitted in Korea
Korean / English