Mr. Haeng Gyu Lee is a Partner in the Finance Group and heads the Capital Markets Team.
Mr. Lee is one of Korea’s highest ranking attorneys in capital markets (IPOs and de-listing reviews), private equity funds, M&A, overseas expansion of financial institutions, project financing, syndicated loans, and ABS, with unparalleled experience in cross-border IPOs, GDR offerings and dual listings.
Mr. Lee advised SK Biopharmaceuticals in its recent IPO on the KOSPI Market Division of the Korea Exchange (KRX), the largest Korean IPO in 2020. He has also gained widespread renown for advising numerous companies that were first in their respective country of incorporation to be listed on the KRX, such as New Pride Corporation (US), Kolao Holdings (Laos), Fast Future Brands (Australia) and LS Cable & System Asia (Vietnam). He is currently representing Nanogen, Vietnam’s largest biosimilars company, and Prestige Bio Pharma, a Singaporean biosimilars company, on their respective listings on the KRX.
Mr. Lee serves as a legal advisor for the KRX and on KRX’s task force team to attract Asian companies of excellence to list on the KRX. He is also a member of the Corporate Evaluation Committee of the Stock Market Division of the KRX.
Mr. Lee’s key clients include major Korean securities houses, such as Korea Investment & Securities, Mirae Asset Daewoo, Samsung Securities, Daishin Securities, Kiwoom Securities and KB Securities.
Mr. Lee holds an LL.B. from Seoul National University and LL.M. from Columbia Law School.
He is a member of the Korean and New York Bars.
- 2007 Columbia Law School (LL.M.)
- 1996 Seoul National University (LL.B.)
- 2002-PresentPartner, JIPYONG LLC
- 2017-PresentLegal advisor, Korea Exchange
- 2016-PresentAdvisor, Expatriate SME Legal Advisory Group, Ministry of Justice
- 2008-Present Member, Korea Securities Law Association
- 2017-2019Member, Corporate Review Committee, KOSPI Market, Korea Exchange
- 2016-2017 Professional consultant for campaigning to blue chip Asian companies (Vietnam), Korea Exchange
- 2013-2015Auditor, Ashoka Korea
- 2013-2014 Member, Development Consulting Network Advisory Board, Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA)
- 2012 Completed Capital Markets Law Leadership course at Seoul Finance & Law Institute
- 2010-2016 Legal advisor, Financial Supervisory Service
- 2007-2008 International Lawyers, White & Case LLP
- 2005 Member, Legislation Committee, Korean Bar Association
- 2003-2012 Legal advisor, Korea Financial Investment Association, Korea Securities Depository, National Pension Service
- 1999-2002 Judge advocate officer, Republic of Korea Army
- 1999 Judicial Research and Training Institute, Supreme Court of Korea
Notable Achievements Close
- Advised Hwaseung Enterprise in Vietnam on listing on the KOSPI Market of the Korea Exchange
- Advised KOLAO Holdings (currently, LVMC Holdings), one of the largest private companies in Laos, on listing on the Korea Exchange
- Advised New Pride Corporation (US) on listing on the KOSDAQ market
- Advised iCure on listing on the KOSDAQ market
- Advised T&R Biofab on listing on the KOSDAQ market
- Advised DGB Financial Group and DGB Daegu Bank on acquisition of Cam Capital, a specialized bank in Cambodia
- Advised Kookmin Bank on the sale of its equity in Bank CenterCredit, a Kazakhstani bank
Honors and Recognitions Close
- 2021Leading Individual in Capital Markets, Chambers Asia-Pacific
- 2012-2021Leading Lawyer, IFLR
- 2021Most Influential Lawyer of 2020 – IPO Legal Advice, Market Insight Korea Economic Daily
- 2017, 2019-2021Leading Lawyer in Securities and Finance Practice, Legal Times
- 2020Most Influential Lawyer of 2019 – IPO Legal Advice, Market Insight Korea Economic Daily
- 2009Best Lawyer in finance & securities, The Seoul Economic Daily
Speaking Engagements and Publications Close
- 2020Chambers Overview on Capital Markets in South Korea - Pandemic New Normal in Korean Capital Markets, Chambers Asia-Pacific 2021 Guide
- 2018'Striking a Balance', IFLR Cryptocurrency Regulation Special Focus (International Finance Law Review)
- 2016Understanding the Private Equity Fund (PEF for Participation in Management) (Co-author; Pakyoungsa)
- 2016. 1.Analysis of Pending Issues in the Capital Markets Act (1): Changes in the Concept of Public Subscription and Professional Investors, BFL, Issue 75, Center for Financial Law (Seoul National University)
- 2014South Korea private equity funds: 10 years on, IFLR Private Equity and Venture Capital Report
- 2011Gathering Momentum – New Trends in the South Korean Private Investment Fund Market, The 2011 Guide to Private Equity & Venture Capital (IFLR)
- 2011Participated in the production of IPO Guide Book (the Korea Stock Exchange)
- 2011New Wave of IPO Issuance Creates an Optimistic Outlook for Korea´s Capital Markets, Asia-Pacific Capital Markets Handbook (Euromoney)
- 2010. 1.Practical Issues Related to Establishment and Registration of Private Equity Funds, BFL, Center for Financial Law, Issue 39 (Seoul National University)
- 2008. 1.Study of Convergence between Private Equity and Hedge Fund, BFL, Center for Financial Law, Issue 27 (Seoul National University)
- 2005Research on Military Judicial Systems Reform (Co-author) Report for Presidential Committee on Judicial Reform
- 2005Research on Integration of Securities Exchange Act and Futures Exchange Act (Co-author) (Korean Securities Dealers Association)
- 2004Human Rights Issues in the Army, Human Rights Report, 18th edition (Korean Bar Association)
- 1999Admitted in Korea
- 2007Admitted in New York
Korean / English