Mr. Young Hwan Kwon mainly advises and represents clients on civilㆍcriminalㆍadministrative cases related to personnel managementㆍlabor disputes.
After being certified as a public labor consultant in 2002, Mr. Kwon has had extensive experiences in handling union issues and engaging in research on labor-management relations. Mr. Kwon served as a law clerk at the administrative division (responsible for labor and fair trade matters) and the civil division (responsible for labor matters) of the Seoul High Court from 2014 to 2016. Mr. Kwon has been involved in a number of important labor cases such as cases on employee status of a person in special employment type, ordinary wages, illegal dispatch, time-off system, and unfair labor practices, as well as fair trade cases such as collusion and exaggerated advertisements, civil cases such as compensation for damages, and administrative cases such as cancellation of registration.
After joining JIPYONG LLC, Mr. Kwon argued for legal principle in the interpretation of employment rules in a disciplinary case and legal principle regarding the Restriction of Special Taxation Act in a case over taxi company’s wage, leading to the case reversed and remanded by the Supreme Court. In addition, Mr. Kwon has achieved good results in the overall labor sectors, such as obtaining disposition not to institute a public action and suspension of sentencing in criminal cases regarding violations of the Labor Standards Act and the Act on the Protection, Etc. of Fixed-term and Part-time Employees.
Recognized for his expertise externally, Mr. Kwon participated as a co-author of the online commentary on Industrial Accident Compensation Insurance Act and the online commentary on the Occupational Safety and Health Act published by LAWnB, and he earned a master's degree at Leiden University (LL.M., Advanced Studies Programme in European and International Human Rights Law) in 2021.
- 2021Leiden University (LL.M., Advanced Studies Programme in European and International Human Rights Law)
- 2014University of Seoul Law School (J.D.)(President’s Scholar Award)
- 2010Hanyang University (LL.M.)
- 2003Korea University (B.A. in Political Science & International Relations)
- 2016-PresentPartner, JIPYONG LLC
- 2014-2016Law Clerk, Seoul High Court
- 2009-2011Research Assistant at the Korea Labor InstituteㆍKorean Society of Labor Law
- 2003-2005Policy Director at the Korea Power Plant Industry Union
Notable Achievements Close
- Case on employee status of consigned contract workers
- Illegal dispatch by automotive companies, construction companies and public corporation, etc.
- Case on refusal to renew terms of temporary workers/exclusion from conversion of non-fixed term employees
- Claim for payment of overtime allowances (ordinary wages) against hospital, financial institutions, shipbuilding companies, construction companies, etc.
- Claim for payment of bonus for retirees and voluntary retirement allowances against financial institutions and insurance companies
- Cases involving various disciplinary actions and personnel appointments including placement on waiting list, transfer, demotion, suspension and dismissal
- Injunction on labor disputes such as prohibition of labor dispute, prohibition of obstruction of business, etc.
- Claim for remedy against violation of duty of fair representation and unfair labor practice
- Cases relating to accident on duty including myocardial infarction, cerebral hemorrhage, disparity of knees, etc.
- Criminal cases involving occupational breach of trust, violation of Labor Standards Act and Act on the Protection, Etc. of Fixed-term and Part-time Employees, and perjury
- Consultation on method of operation of consigned contract workers and subcontracts
- Determination of average/ordinary/minimum wage items
- Consultation on procedures and determination of various disciplinary actions
- Consultation on amendment procedure of various rules of employment
- Consultation on response to labor disputes
- Consultation on appointment of health officer under the Occupational Safety and Health Act
- Consultation on funding for vocational training project under the Employment Insurance Act
Speaking Engagements and Publications Close
- 2022Major Labor Cases and Decisions (Co-Author), JoongAng Economy
- 2021From Social Responsibility to Legal Obligation: Analysis on the EU Draft Directive on Corporate Due Diligence and Corporate Accountability, Leiden University LL.M.
- 2020Onju “Occupational Safety and Health Act” (Co-author), LAWnB
- 2020Labor Rights, Human Rights Report 2019 Vol. 34, Korean Bar Association
- 2018-2021Getting the Deal Through: Labour & Employment - Korea Chapter, Law business Research
- 2017Onju Industrial Accident Compensation Insurance Act (co-author), LAWnB
- 2011Review on “distinction between worker dispatch and subcontract”, Labor Law Review Vol. 30, The SNU Society of Labor Law
- 2010Cesión de trabajadores como la autoridad de la regulación sobre la descentralización productive, Labor Law Review Vol. 28, The SNU Society of Labor Law
- 2010La regulacion legal de la descentralizacion productiva en España (master’s thesis), Hanyang University
- 2009, 2011Medical Laws: Medical Technicians, etc. (Co-author), Soomoonsa
- 2009, 2010Abridged Commentary on Health and Medical Laws: Medical Personnel (Co-author), Soomoonsa
- 2014Admitted in Korea
- 2002Certified Public Labor Attorney, Korea
Korean / English