Disputes involving media companies require comprehensive analysis and creative solutions rather than just mechanical and legal approaches in order to promptly understand the issues and take comprehensive solution at the earlier stage. Proactive and preventive measures take precedence over follow-up measures. Jipyong's Media Litigation Team is composed of attorneys who have amassed practical experience as journalists, or in courts and prosecution offices for many years handling media-related disputes. We have advised and represented major Korean broadcasting companies, media outlets and portal companies. With special know-how regarding pre and ex post countermeasures tailored to each type of dispute, media, and counterparty, we provide prompt and practical solutions for clients involved in media disputes.
Key Practice Areas Close
- Arbitration and mediation before Press Arbitration Commission (correction notice, opposing argument, article deletion, follow-up report, claim for compensation), and response
- Complaint on defamation to the Korea Communications Standards Commission and response
- Civil and criminal cases, such as correction notice, opposing argument, and compensation for damages
- Regular and comprehensive advice on and response to disputes over goods and services and reputations of company
- Advice on and response to disputes related to celebrity reputation including popular culture artists and politicians
- Pre-diagnosis, due diligence and response to press or public opinion at all stages
- Advice on media and public opinion after reporting
- Response on portal site and social media
- Represented MBC in a lawsuit seeking court injunction on prohibiting disclosure of list of illegal kindergartens and won the case
- Represented JTBC in a dispute regarding alleged “tablet PC manipulation”
- Participated in media litigations related to the report programs of major broadcasters, such as MBC, SBS, etc.
- Advised the media, including Hangyoreh, Sisa Journal, Sisa In, Seoul Shinmun, etc. in relation to their news articles and participated in media arbitrations and/or litigations
- Advised group owners, lawmakers, prominent musicians, broadcasters and entertainers, etc. on defamation and conducted criminal proceedings
- Conducted civil and criminal proceedings against black consumer, and malicious rumor made by competitors