With the convergence of information and communication technology, the era of hyper-connectivity has begun, and the lawful methods to process and use data including personal information is now more important than ever. The recent amendments to the ‘three data privacy laws’ would accelerate distribution and use of data in terms of speed, scope and depth. In addition, the development of the big data industry would increase the risk of infringement on our right of self-determination over personal information. Korea’s personal information laws and regulations impose obligations on not only conglomerates but also small- and medium-sized enterprises. Personal information infringement gives rise to risks of civil or criminal action, and it is very closely linked with business reputation. Further, as the issues in the internet-based industry may occur to any business regardless of the border, the need to monitor compliance with the laws and regulations in the country where the services are provided is becoming ever more imperative.
Jipyong’s Privacy and Data Protection Team has focused on this area before implementation of the Personal Information Protection Act (“PIPA”) and has gained unparalleled experiences. Our Team consists of attorneys who are well known for extensive experiences, quick response and client-tailored consultation services have excelled in providing legal advice and consulting services on personal information compliance and responding to personal information leakage. We will use our best efforts to update the trends of the fast-changing privacy and data sector and provide our clients with practical approach to support their business management.
Key Practice Areas Close
- Advised clients on information protection issues (including personal information) and provided compliance and consulting services
- Advised clients on the information protection management system and authorization methods for the information protection management system (including but not limited to ISMS and ISMS-P)
- Advised clients on their response to an on-site personal information protection inspection
- Advised clients on their response to personal information leakage and hacking and represented clients in a dispute resolution procedure
- Advised clients on the personal information risk analysis upon introduction of new and integrated services
- Advised clients on the due diligence on and processing of data (including personal information) upon M&A
- Represented enterprises in civil proceedings related to personal information leakage caused by portal or messenger server hacking
- Advised a card company on its response to the customer information leakage incident
- Represented and advised a global coffee company in connection with the Korea Communications Commission(“KCC”)’s investigation of personal information issues, and advised the company on ISMS-P authentication
- Advised a major insurance company on the use of customer information, insurance marketing and compliance under PIPA
- Represented a global food company and an e-commerce company in KCC’s regulation process related to personal information
- Advised a global corporation’s Korean branch on its response to the on-site inspection related to personal information protection and legal due diligence
- Represented an online platform operator in its personal information compliance project