Ms. Genny S. Kim is a Senior Foreign Attorney in the Finance Group. She has over 22 years of experience in Korea advising Korean and foreign clients on a myriad of cross-border financings, M&As and competition law matters.
Ms. Kim has acted for numerous Korean and foreign lenders/syndicates and borrowers on general corporate lending transactions, asset-backed securitisations of credit card, mortgage and auto loan receivables and other structured finance transactions, acquisition financings, ship financings and real estate financings. Notable M&A transactions include the acquisition of Korea Life Insurance by the Hanwha-ORIX consortium, the merger of Dongyang Elevator and ThyssenKrupp Elevator, Prudential’s acquisition of CJ Investment Trust & Securities, FILA Korea’s acquisition of the global ‘FILA’ brand from its Italian parent and subsequent acquisition of Acushnet (owner of the golf brand, Titleist).
Ms. Kim was the Chair of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Korea (2012-2014) and the head of corporate governance on the Executive Committee of its Board (2011-2015), as well as a Board member since 2007. She spearheaded the formal establishment of CanCham Korea into a non-profit legal entity.
Ms. Kim holds a B.A. (International Relations) and LL.B. from the University of British Columbia.
She is a member of the Law Society of British Columbia, in Canada.
- 1995 University of British Columbia, Faculty of Law (LL.B.)
- 1991 University of British Columbia, Faculty of Arts (B.A., International Relations)
- 2019-Present Senior Foreign Attorney, JIPYONG LLC
- 2015-2019 Lee & Ko
- 2012-2014 Chair, Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Korea
- 2007-2015 Director, Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Korea
- 1999-2015 Shin & Kim
- 1998 Shin & Shin
- 1995-1997 Baumgartel Gould
Speaking Engagements and Publications Close
- 2019Amendments to the KFTC Merger Review Guidelines (Legal500 Asia Pacific - Legal Development Articles)
- 2012Korea Chapter, Getting the Deal Through – Dominance 2012 (Law Business Research)
- 2011Korea Chapter, Getting the Deal Through – Dominance 2011 (Law Business Research)
- Implications to PEFs of Supreme Court Ruling on “Good Faith” Cooperation in Shareholder
Exit Processes (Jul. 19, 2021)
- Beyond Compliance and CSR: A New Era of ESG (May 3, 2021)
- 1996Admitted in British Columbia, Canada
Korean / English