Mr. Bernard Ham is a highly experienced US qualified attorney whose practice is focused on cross-border complex transactions, intellectual property, compliance and regulatory matters. Mr. Ham represents multinational companies in various industries, including pharmaceutical, medical device, healthcare, manufacturing, automotive, technology, and entertainment.
Before joining Jipyong, Mr. Ham served as senior managing director at Seegene, a global molecular diagnostics company, where he was responsible for managing the business development, manufacturing, quality, procurement, and legal and compliance functions. As a key member of the management team, Mr. Ham was routinely involved in executing major strategic decisions of the company.
Mr. Ham previously practiced law in the US with reputable global law firms in their corporate and healthcare/life sciences Teams.
Mr. Ham routinely speaks at conferences on various subject matters, including healthcare/life sciences regulations, corporate transactions, intellectual property, and management of in-house legal function. Mr. Ham also previously served as the Vice Chairman of the In-House Counsel Forum (IHCF), the largest organization for corporate counsels in Korea.
- 1997 Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D.)
- 1994 The Claremont Graduate School (M.A.)
- 1992 University of Wisconsin – Madison (B.A.)
- 2019-Present Senior Foreign Attorney, JIPYONG LLC
- 2014-2018 Senior Managing Director, Seegene Inc.
- 2012-2014 Partner, Lee, Hong, Degerman, Kang & Waimey (Los Angeles, CA, Atlanta, GA), Business & Corporate Practice Group
- 2009-2016 Adjunct Professor, Sogang University School of law
- 2006-2010 Head of Business & Legal Affairs, CJ E&M
- 2003-2006 Associate, Baker & McKenzie (Washington, DC), Corporate & Securities and Pharmaceuticals & Health Law Practice Groups
- 2000-2003 Associate, Alston & Bird (Atlanta, GA), Healthcare Regulatory and International Practice Groups
- 1998-2000 Legal Counsel, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Office of the General Counsel
Speaking Engagements and Publications Close
- 2020The Legal 500 Country Comparative Guides: International Arbitration
- South Korea Chapter (The Legal 500)
- 2019Comparative Legal Guide: International Arbitration (4th edition)
- South Korea Chapter (The Legal 500 & The In-House Lawyer)
- 2005Chapter 3, Compliance and Health Law Update for Long Term Care, CCH 2005 Health Law and Compliance Update, (Co-author of the chapter with Michael H. Cook)
- 2000-2006Frequent contributor to the publications of the American Health Lawyers Association
News & Activities Close
- 2019“Strategic Partnership and Licensing for Overseas Expansion”, Lecturer, Dynamic Bio Workshop, Ministry of Food and Drug Safety (hosted by Korea Biomedicine Industry Association), Seoul, Korea
- 2019“Collaboration in Global Biotech: From a Term Sheet to Closing”, Presenter, the BIO STARTUP, POWERUP PROGRAM, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Seoul, Korea
- 2017. 1.“Innovations in MDx Product Development (One Platform Solution)”, Presenter, 35th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference, San Francisco, CA
- 2012. 4.“Legal Issues to Consider in Investing in the United States”, Presenter, Spring Seminar by Foundation of Korea Automotive Parts Industry Promotion, Seoul, Korea
- 2011. 10.“Legal Issues in HR and Labor Relations in M&A Context and Practical Considerations in Outbound M&A”, Discussant, Negotiations and Legal Issues in Cross-Border Mergers & Acquisitions, Seminar co-hosted by Seoul National University School of Law, Korea International Trade Law Association, Seoul, Korea
- 2009. 6.“Case Study in Litigation Against Copyright Infringement in Korea”, Presented at the Korea-China Copyright Forum at the request of the Korean government, Beijing, China
- 2008. 10.“Film Federation Against Piracy: A Coalition of the Desperate”, Presented at the US-Korea Business Council, Forum on Intellectual Property Rights, Seoul, Korea
- Amendments to the Administrative and Operative Guidelines of the New & Renewable Energy
Renewable Portfolio Standard and Renewable Fuel Standard (Oct. 18, 2021)
- ESG Investing: How Private Equity Fund Investments Are Affected (May 17, 2021)
- What Made Coupang Choose the NYSE? A Look at Korea’s Dual-Class Share System Debate (Mar. 2, 2021)
- Proposed Amendment to the Enforcement Decree of the Act on Reporting and Using Specified
Financial Transaction Information (Jan. 18, 2021)
- 2001Admitted in Georgia
Court Admissions Close
- 1998U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- Korean / English